Centre for Science and Society
(A unit of Buti Foundation)
20, Swagat Mahal,
Chandkheda - Motera Road
Chandkheda, Ahmedabad 382424
The Centre would promote interactions between natural scientists and social scientists. This would be beneficial for all.
We use the word science in a very broad sense to include natural sciences, bio-sciences, climate, medicine, agriculture as well as technology.
We feel there is a need for a constant dialogue between scientists, non-scientists and the public at large.
Science and technology have virtually captured almost all spheres of our existence. While their influence is ubiquitous, public understanding, of modern scientific developments and their potentialities, is somewhat lacking. We feel there is a great need to bridge this gap in understanding and to discuss and debate their wider social and political linkages.
Activities to be undertaken:
- Organize lectures, group discussions, film/slide shows, seminars, symposia, conferences, training programs, courses, competitions, awards, etc.
- Bring out publications, newsletters etc.
- To foster debates on ethical and economic consequences of science and technology on society.
- Foster hands-on and multidisciplinary approaches to teaching.
- To support intellectual collaborations, among scientists from different disciplines and between scientists and non-scientists, aimed at usefully bringing together different perspectives on issues and problems of practical importance.
- To support new projects aimed at bridging the gap between the academic and the applied on larger social issues.
- To encourage and support students for trying out new things.
- To support working groups around particular relevant topics like health, climate, biotechnology etc.
- To advance the public understanding of promise of science in the promotion of human welfare.
||Prof. B. Buti, New Delhi
||Ms. Veena Ramani, Ahmedabad
||Dr. N. Venkataramani, Ahmedabad
Other Centres of CSS:
||Prof. B. Buti, New Delhi
||Dr. Shashi Duggal, Bareilly
||Dr. R.K. Chittlangia, Bareilly
||Prof. B. Buti, New Delhi
||Dr. D.K. Taneja, Indore
||Dr. M.L. Jain, Indore
||Prof. B. Buti, New Delhi
Activities Undertaken / planned:
Centre for Science and Society, Ahmedabad
CSS was set up at Ahmedabad in November 2011. Since its inception, following activities have taken place:
- The inaugural lecture on 'Road Traffic Accidents - Role of Science and Society' was held at Ahmedabad Management Association Hall on Nov.12, 2011. The lecture was delivered by Dr. D.K. Taneja, Orthopaedic Surgeon, Indore.
Dr. Taneja delivering his lecture on Nov. 12, 2011
Science and Society Awareness Contest 2012 for the school children of Gujarat was held on September 15, 2012. 50 students (38 boys and 12 girls) had participated.
The Award Function was held on September 23 at AMA Hall, Ahmedabad. 14 students were given the Merit Certificates and 3 were given Trophies.
Prarthana y. Padya of Rajkumar College, Rajkot; Manomeet Gupta of Delhi Public School, Gandhidham and Jaidev Shah of Udgam School,
Ahmedabad were awarded the Trophies. Besides the award presentations, Prof. Buti, Director CSS, gave a lecture on '
Nobel Laureate S. Chandrasekhar: His Life and Scientific Works'.
Participants during Registration for the Contest on September 15, 2012
Prarthana Y. Padia of Rajkumar College , Rajkot receiving the Award
Under the aegis of CSS-Ahmedabad, PLASMA & VACUUM TECHNOLOGIES (PVT), a firm located at Ahmedabad and dedicated to the proliferation of
Vacuum and Plasma Technologies in Industries, conducted a Training Program in Vacuum Technologies during the month of October, 2012.
There were 11 participants who took the training, conducted at PVT. The participants of the program were motivated Engineers and Technicians
interested in applying Vacuum Technology working in their Industries and 2 college students from Diploma course in Mechanical Engineering, all from Ahmedabad.
- Science and Society Awareness Contest 2014 for the school children of Gujarat was held on February 8, 2014 and the Award Function was held on February 23 at CSS Hall at 403 Balaji Heights, Ahmedabad. 8 students were given the Merit Certificates and 2 were given Trophies.
Manav Sumara and Hadiyah Ghoghari, of St. Xavier's School, Mirzapur, Ahmedabad, were presented the trophies by the Chief Guest Prof. Dhiraj Bora, Director, Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar. Prof. Bora gave a lecture on '
Fusion and ITER'.
Manav Sumara with Prof. Bora and Prof. Buti
Centre for Science and Society, Indore
During Indian orthopaedic association 56th annual conference , CSS in collaboration with Orthopaedics Association of SAARC Countries, held a Scientific Session on Dec.10, 2011 at Noida (UP). The session was chaired by Prof. S.M. Awais of Pakistan and Dr M.P. Shrivastav of Nepal.
- First Aid Training Course:
During the Road Safety Week observed by Govt. of Madhya Pradesh, on Jan. 2, 2012, 'A First Aid Training Course' was conducted for Police Constables, Drivers and Ambulance Drivers. The course was organized, under the auspices of Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation of India and Centre for Science and Society by Arihant Hospital and Police Department, Indore and it was conducted by Dr. D.K. Taneja, Executive Director, CSS Indore.
An 'Operation Theater Technician Re-Orientation Course' was held at Sri Aurobindo Institute of Medical Sciences, Indore during Jan. 14-15, 2012.
Under the auspices of Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation of India, in collaboration with CSS, a Post Graduate Instructional Course for DNB Ortho Trainees of National Board of Examination, Ministry of Health GOI., was held at Indore during Jan.27- 29, 2012.
For creating awareness in the society, Dr. D. K. Taneja, Executive Director, Centre for Science & Society, Indore (A Unit of Buti Foundation) delivered public lectures on Osteoporosis & Road Traffic Accidents on 4th Feb 2012 at Sagar, MP. The media had given a very good coverage.
Dr. D. K. Taneja, Executive Director, Centre for Science & Society, Indore (A Unit of Buti Foundation) delivered two lectures for the medical students at Bundelkhand Medical College, sagar on becoming a Good Doctor and on Road Traffic Accidents on 5th Feb 2012.
Dr. D. K. Taneja, Executive director, Centre for Science & Society, Indore, delivered a guest lecture on 13th Feb 2012 on "Yoga and Orthopaedics" at National Yoga conference organized by Morarji Desai National Institute of Yogic Sciences, New Delhi. Lecture was very much appreciated by the delegates.
Under the auspices of Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation of India, in collaboration with Centre for Science and Society, Indore, a Post Graduate Instructional Course for Ortho Trainees was held at Indore during Jan.17- 20, 2013. 135 students from all over the country attended the course that was organized and co-ordinated by Dr. D.K.Taneja, Executive Director CSS, Indore.
9. First Aid Training Course for Traffic Police
The Course, organized by Dr. D.K. Taneja, was held on 19th Jan 2014. It was attended by 100 traffic policemen. Shri Vipin Maheshwari, IGP Indore range was Chief Guest in the inaugural function. Key Note Address was given by Dr. D. K. Taneja, Executive Director, Centre for Science and Society, Indore. Besides lectures there was live demonstration on the casualty evacuation and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) which was greatly appreciated. The fire services of Indore gave live demonstration of rescue methods. Shri Paul Additional SP was a Chief Guest in Valedictory function. He distributed the certificates to all policemen.
10. First International P. G. Instructional Course:
The Course was held on January 22-25, 2014. 160 P. G. students, from all over the country and abroad, attended the course and actively participated in Interactive sessions. The course was held under the auspices of Orthopaedic Research and Education foundation – India, Centre for Science & Society, Indore and Orthopaedic Association of SAARC Countries. The course was supported by Indian Orthopaedic Association and National Board of Examination, Ministry of Health, Government of India.The faculty was drawn from all over the country.
11. Second International P. G. Instructional Course:
12. Third International P. G. Instructional Course:
13. P. G. Instructional Course 2017:
P. G. Instructional Course was held from 12th to 15th Jan 2017 at Arihant Hospital and Research Centre, Indore (India) under the auspices of Centre for Science and Society (CSS) Indore and organized by Orthopaedic Research & Education Foundation – India. 130 trainees from all over the country attended the course. 10 senior faculty members participated in the course.The course was inaugurated by Dr. Narendra Kumar Dhakad, Vice Chancellor of Devi Ahiliya Vishwa Vidhayala, Indore. Students actively participated and presented large numbers of cases. Over all about 10 -12 clinical cases were discussed every day.The students who performed well were awarded. Dr. D.K. Taneja, Executive Director, CSS Indore was the Course Director.
Centre for Science and Society, Delhi
On Dec.12, 2011, Dr. D.K. Taneja, Executive Director, CSS, Indore, delivered a lecture on 'Road Traffic Accidents : Role of Science and Society' at India International Centre, New Delhi.
On December 20, 2011, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS gave a Keynote Address at National Plasma Science Conference held at Birla Institute of Technology, Patna.
To participate in the Birth Centenary Celebrations of Nobel Laureate Prof. S. Chandrasekhar, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS gave a lecture on 'Nobel Laureate S. Chandrasekhar: His Life and Science' at India International Centre, New Delhi on Jan.16, 2012. The lecture was chaired by Prof. P.N. Tandon, Neuro Surgeon and President National Brain Research Centre.
On the occasion of International Women's Day, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS, as a Chief Guest delivered a lecture on 'Women in Science' on March 12, 2012 at Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Dehradun.
To inspire young students and faculty, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS, delivered a lecture on March 28, 2012 in the Physics Department, Delhi University on 'Nobel Laureate S. Chandrasekhar: His Life and science'.
On July 30, 2012, Prof. A.K. Ghatak delivered a lecture at India International Centre, New Delhi on 'Einstein: A Glimpse of his Life, Philosophy and Science'.
On October 8, 2012, Mr. Sankar Sen, former Director General National Human Rights Commission, gave a Public Lecture at India International Centre, New Delhi on 'Policing a Democratic Society'. The lecture was chaired by Prof. A.K. Ghatak, Visiting Professor IIT Delhi.
On October 30, 2012, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS, delivered a Public lecture at IIT Delhi on 'Nobel Laureate S. Chandrasekhar: His Perception of Evolution of Stars from White Dwarfs to Black Holes'
9. On March 13, 2013, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS, delivered a lecture at Space Application Centre, Ahmedabad on 'Stellar Evolution from White Dwarfs to Black Holes'.
10. On April 2, 2013, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS, delivered a Public lecture at Delhi Technological University, Delhi on 'Nobel Laureate S. Chandrasekhar: His Perception of Stellar Evolution from White Dwarfs to Black Holes'.
11. On July 22, 2013, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS, delivered a Popular lecture at CSIR-Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute (CEERI), Pilani on 'Nobel Laureate S. Chandrasekhar: His Perception of Stellar Evolution from White Dwarfs to Black Holes'.
CEERI Pilani Conference Inaugration
Prof. Buti receiving memento from CEERI Director Prof. Chandrasekhar
12. On November 13, 2013,
Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS, delivered a lecture at
Institute of Plasma Research, Gandhinagar on 'Stellar Evolution from White Dwarfs to Black Holes'.
13. Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS, delivered a lecture on ' Women in Science: The changing scenario'
at IIT, Madras on July 2, 2014 during an International Conferece on 'Dynamics Days Asia Pacific'
14. To inspire young students to go for science education, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS gave two interviews which were telecast by DD Bharati on July 26, 2014 and Rajya Sabha TV on August 2, 2014. Both these interviews are uploaded on You Tube http://youtu.be/81lqSbwCZ00; http://youtu.be/BLnLX1WtYRs
The Centre for Science and Society (A Unit of Buti Foundation, New Delhi)
invites you to a Public Lecture on
“The Fiber Optics Revolution”
by Professor A.K. Ghatak, Bhatnagar Awardee and Formerly Professor of Physics, IIT Delhi.
Date & Time: 13th October'14, 3:30 pm - 5:35 pm
Venue: UChicago Center in Delhi, DLF Capitol Point, Baba Kharak Singh Marg, New Delhi
For RSVP please email at
Prof. Ghatak delivering the Lecture at UC-Center
16. Prof. J.N. Goswami, Director Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad delivered a Public Lecture on 'India's Planetary Exploration to Moon, Mars and beyond' at Indian Institute of Tchnology, Delhi On November 12, 2014. This lecture was jointly organized with IIT, Delhi.
Prof. Goswami receiving the memento from Prof. Shevgaonkar, Director IIITD
17. On November 19, 2014, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS gave a lecture on 'Leadership Life Experiences' at CSIR-HRDC, Gaziabad.
18. Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS delivered 'Prof. MeghNad Saha Memorial Award Lecture' on 'Stellar Evolution to Black Holes and Beyond' at Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, Delhi University on January 21, 2015. Prof. V.P. Sharma, President Delhi Local Chapter of National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI) presented the medal to Prof. Buti.
Prof. Buti receiving the Award
19. On February 4, 2015 Prof. Dhiraj Bora, Director Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar gave a lecture on ' International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor: India's Contribution and Future of Fusion' at IIT Delhi. This lecture was jointly arranged by CSS and IIT Delhi.
Prof. Bora delivering the lecture
20. On December 1, 2015, Prof. B. Buti, Director CSS, gave a popular talk on 'Black Holes and Beyond' at Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata.
21. Hygiene Awareness for Underprivileged Children:
On February 21. 2016, a team consisting of Dr. Neeta Buti Taneja, Dr. Rakesh Taneja and Mr. Janesh Nagpal held a Free Medical check-up and Awareness Camp at Sharmas Farm House at Jindpur, Dist. Alipur, Delhi. 70 underprivileged children, aged 6-16, had their thorough check-up and were advised of required treatment and deficiency shown on their specially prepared 'Buti Foundation Medical Proforma').
Dr. Neeta Buti Taneja with Mrs. Sharma and the Children at Farm House
Dr. Rakesh Taneja examining the Child
22. On March 5, 2016, Dr. Rakesh Taneja delivered a Public Lecture on ‘Lifestyle Diseases with a special focus on Diabetes Mellitus’ at Sanatan Dharam Mandir, Multan Nagar, Delhi. About 50, mostly Senior Citizens, participated and actively interacted with the speaker.
23. On August 12, 2016, Dr. Neeta Buti Taneja gave Dengu Awareness Lecture at DAV Jhaban Lal School, Paschim Vihar, New Delhi.
Dr. Neeta Buti Taneja Delivering her Lecture
24. On June 17, 2017, Blood Sugar awareness and free check up camp was organised by Buti Foundation at Jwalaheri Market Mandir in Paschim Vihar, Delhi. Camp was coducted by Dr. Rakesh Taneja, Sh. Janesh Nagpal, Sh. Atul Raheja and was sponsored by Sh. Jag Mohan of Apna Store. 47 persons were tested for blood sugar and free consultation regarding diet and exercise was provided to known diabetics and those at risk for diabetes.
25. On July 29, 2017, Blood Sugar Test and Health Education camp was organised by Buti Foundation at Sanatan Dharam Mandir, A-1 Block, Paschim Vihar, Delhi. Camp was coducted by Dr. Rakesh Taneja, Mr. Janesh Nagpal, Mr. Atul Raheja and was sponsored by Mr. Ajay Arora of 'Electronic Paradise". 89 persons availed the services.
Centre for Science and Society, Bareilly
Cancer Awareness and free Check-Up camps twice a month on first and third Saturdays have been held since May 2012.
Lecture on "Effect of Tobacco on Society" was delivered by Dr. R.K. Chittlangia, Oncologist on World Tobbaco Day, May 31, 2012 at Rotary Bhavan, Bareilly.
Workshop on Uses of Computer and Internet for House-wives held on June 24, 2012 at Indian Medical Association Hall, Bareilly.
- On International Drug Abuse Awareness Day on June 26, 2013, Dr. R.K.Chittlangia, Cancer Specialist, gave a presentation on 'Drug Abuse - A Social Problem' to students of Alma Mater School, Bareilly.
Dr. Chittlangia delivering his lecture at Alma Mater School
5. Free Eye Check Up Camp on June 30, 2013, in collaboration with Bareilly Cancer Charitable Trust,was held at Bareilly. As a follow up 15 persons, requiring Cataract surgeries, were provided free surgeries by CSS Bareilly.
6. On July 14, 2013, a camp for Free Health Checkup and Blood Test was organized for senior citizens of Bareilly. On this occasion, Dr. R.K. Chittlangia gave a talk on Cancer Awareness.
7. On August 1,2013 CSS, in collaboration with Chittlangia Charitable Trust, started an Eye Project under which surgery will be done free of cost and the eye glasses will be provided at a nominal cost of Rs.40.
8. Yoga camps were held on four Sundays - Nov.10, Nov.17, Nov.24 and Dec.1, 2013 at 'Swami Vivekanand Yog and Prakritik Vigyan Sansthan' at Bareilly. Camps were conducted by Yogacharya / Naturopath Dr. Brijesh Kumar Gupta.
9. Cancer Awareness among Ladies of rural area was held at Rakshpal Bahadur Management Institute, Bareilly by Cancer specialist Dr. R.K. Chittlangia.
10. Free Artificial Limb Camp was held on November 17, 2013. The camp was inaugurated by Mayor of Bareilly City, Dr. I.S. Tomer. Limbs were distributed to the selected needy persons by DM Bareilly Abhishek Prakash, free of charge, on December 8, 2013.
Little boy walking after receiving his artificial leg and foot
11. From December , 2013 yoga camps are held for cancer patients on every 1st and 3rd Saturday. Camps are conducted by yoga teacher Dr. Rashmi Gupta.
Free Diabetic Camp was held at Swami Vivekanand Yog Sansthan, Akansha Enclave, Bareilly on December 15,2013.
Consultants at the camp:
Dr. Shashi Duggal, Allopathy; Dr. Mukul Saxena, Ayurved; Dr. B.K. Singh, Homeopath; Dr. Brijesh Kumar Gupta, Yog and Naturopath and Mr. Harish Chandra, Dietician.
13. Free homeopathic Camp was held on January 12, 2014. 50 patients were examined and given free medicines for 7 days.
14. Health Programme for School Children was initiated on March 15, 2014. Children were made aware of personal hygiene. Their physical examination, eye check up and dental check up were done by the respective specialists. 25 children were enrolled till March 31, 2014.
15. A special camp for Breast Cancer was held on March 22, 2015.
16. Starting Sunday May 3, 2015 daily Yoga Camps have been held in association with Bareilly Cancer Charitable Trust.
17. Free homeopathic Camp was held on May 24, 2015 by Dr. B.K. Singh. 62 patients were examined and given free medicines for 7 days.
18. On June 18, 2015, Dr. R.K. Chittlangia gave a Radio Talk on 'Benefits of Yoga for Cancer Patients'.
19. On April 24, 2016 Free Cardiac and Diabetes Camp was conducted by Senior Cardiologist Dr. Rakesh Kumar Mishra. 62 patients had their consultation and 51 had their Blood Test done.
Dr. Mishra, Dr. Shashi Duggal with other doctors
20. On May 8, 2016, Free Orthopaedic Camp was held. This was conducted by Senior Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Aditya Maheshwari.
21. On December 11, 2016, Cancer Awareness Camp was organized at Village Balia. Dr. R.K. Chittlangia, Cancer Specialist examined seven cancer patients. A new case was also detected.
22. On January 22, 2017, free physiotherapy camp was held. 21 patients were given consultations and therapy.
Site Updated on 26th January, 2017